Sunday, March 25, 2012

We no likey when you get hurt!

Dear Elijah,
I'm already laughing while writing this, because I am having flashbacks of our most recent family situation! You were roaming around the house, and daddy and I were sitting on the floor not to far from where you were just talking to each other, and talking to you. You all of a sudden walked right into the corner of a chair that was JUST the worst height for your head, it knocked you down, and then you hit your head again on the floor. I was blocked from seeing what happened, but daddy saw the whole thing happen so fast, and was already springing into action! He grabbed you up like a half a second after your fall, and held you close while looking at the back of your head rubbing it, and feeling it to check if it was ok. While he did this I was trying to ask him what the heck happened!!!? He wouldn't give me a clear answer, and was pacing back and forth with you as if you may be seriously hurt, and so I proceeded to flip out a bit and walked to the freezer to find some frozen peas for the back of your head... Your dad was walking towards me saying, "I don't know hon, it seemed like he fell really hard, will you look at the back of his head and make sure............." He just stopped mid-sentence and his face turned pale, his eyes dilated, and he was staring at your forehead as if you were bleeding, or there was something terribly wrong!!! He then started say, "Oh my Gosh! Oh man! Oh... blah blah blah." I started crying, asking, "what!!! what!!! what!!???" He turned you a bit towards me, and I saw what he was looking at. It was a huge purple-ish knot on your forehead!!! It was actually the front of your head that you hit hard, and the other fall was not that bad! So the whole time, the back of your head was just fine, and the front was growing a bump! When I saw it, I felt so bad for my precious little baby boy, and started going through the freezer like a mad woman throwing around waffles, meat, and other frozen stuff to find the perfect veggies that could go on your lump! We put a cold compress on your bump, and then gave you some juice while we all calmed down. We checked your eyes, felt all over your head, and watched as your lump actually went down. It was so good to see the lump get smaller as we took care of it. Finally you were up and playing around, talking, laughing and dancing, while daddy was following you around. Daddy was so overprotective after the fall and was pretty much flinching at every wobble you did. I on the other hand was just happy that I didn't call 911, and that you were just fine. I was resting trying to calm myself down from the chaos. Hahaha, although it was sad to see you get hurt, I was relieved that it was only a lump. Your daddy is amazing! He is so fast to act in these situations, and he cares so much! He loves you so much! I think it was just hard for me because I was not the one in control, and had to base all my reactions and feelings on watching your dad. Reacting to someone else's reactions is way harder than reacting to the thing itself. At least he could see exactly what was going on, and didn't have to imagine the absolute worst and let his mind go crazy! You cried, and it was painful for you, but you calmed down way before daddy and I did. We were just trying to rule out all the bad stuff, and get down to the facts. After going over how you fell, we were able to feel peace about it all. I mean, you fall ALL the time, and you are always bonking your head, but this one just looked and sounded bad, plus it was your first big lump, so we were on edge! I told your daddy that he can't react like that in front of me if there is no blood or serious injury, like a broken bone! He thought his reaction was the right amount for the situation. Haha, and I said, "babe, you can't have those kind of faces and reactions in front of a mom! I was about to throw up and call 911!!!" He just laughed and said that he was startled and the lump took him by surprise! I know that there are many more accidents to come, since you are an active little boy, and also since I grew up with a brother who was super active and got hurt ALL the time! I told your dad, I have no idea how my mom dealt with all my brothers crazy injuries. I was also thinking about my friend who has 3 boys and one of them broke his femur bone when he was only like 2 or 3! Thank Jesus for his strength and grace in parenting. I'm pretty confident that with God's help we are going to only get better at this ;) It feels good to know that we learned from this one little thing :) So far, parenting is a blast! We both love being your mommy and daddy, even when you scare us to death, hahahaha. Love you little guy. Love you very much. You are our precious baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment